Q fever is a serious bacterial infection that can be contracted from living near and working with livestock and other native animals such as kangaroos. The Q fever vaccination is an effective way to prevent against Q fever infection.
Dr Muecke and Dr McLeod are accredited to perform the testing and vaccination for Q fever.
You are NOT eligible to have the Q fever skin test or vaccination if you have the following:
- Previous confirmed Q fever infection, vaccination or skin test
- Immune system disorder or medications compromising your immunity
- Previous vaccination adverse event and/or egg allergy
If you do not have these above conditions then please contact our clinic to make a booking. The total cost of the consultations, blood test, skin test kit and vaccination is $405. These costs are not subsidised by Medicare.
The first consultation involves:
- A screening questionairre and examination
- A skin test (to see if you have had prior Q fever exposure)
- A blood test performed by SA Pathology (to check for Q fever antibodies)
The second consultation is performed 7 days later and involves:
- Assessing the skin test site for a reaction
- Reviewing the antibody test
- If both of these results are negative, then the vaccination is given.